Bookish Thoughts for November
Here we are on the last day of November! It’s book post day! You’ll notice a theme to my November reading. I’ve been using my Kindle Unlimited subscription almost exclusively. I was going to unsubscribe at the end this month, but I decided to keep KU for one more month. I’ve discovered Christmas Rom-Coms and there is no stopping me now! It’s been a month of reading books that are the equivalent of Hallmark Christmas movies! I love it! November has been very merry and bright for my reading life!
At the end of October, I discovered books by Courtney Walsh. Her Christmas novels sucked me in and I moved on to her other books. I did a binge of some of her works on KU. I haven’t read them all yet. She has a similar plot in her stories – the tragic death of a love one in the past before the story takes place – and it made her books a bit heavy to read one right after the other. Her writing might be best mixed in with some diversity. I also stumbled upon The Christmas Escape series in KU. The final book in the series released today and I can’t wait to start it! Each book features a female main character traveling for the holidays and finding love. The books are written by different authors and I appreciated the exposure to new authors. These books gave me all the Christmas feels. I thoroughly enjoyed them.
You’ll notice a lack of non-fiction this month – only two books in that category. I feel somewhat bad about that, but I’ve had a blast with Christmas novels, so I don’t feel too bad. Also, this month was a busy month for our family so quick and light novels fit my mental capacity. This month I was definitely thankful for Christmas novels and Kindle Unlimited!
Top Picks for November
Non-Fiction: Own Your Life: Living with Deep Intention, Bold Faith, and Generous Love by Sally Clarkson – I can’t say enough good things about Sally Clarkson and her writing! She has become a favorite of mine and a true mentor! She shares her wisdom with honesty, empathy, and encouragement. Her journey in homeschooling, motherhood, and ministry has been an inspiration to me. Own Your Life was a reminder to live an intentional life and stay the course in doing good work. It paired well with M is for Mama from last month. Living a life of integrity, priotirzing character development, leaning in your purpose are messages that bolster your soul as you read this book!
Fiction: A Quilt for Christmas by Melody Carlson – Melody Carlson is one of my go-to authors. If she writes it, I’ll read it! I’m not a quilter so I wasn’t sure how attached I would be this story, but it took me no time to be invested in the cast of characters who make up this sweet Christmas novella. It’s a multi-generational tale that shares the power of community. The main character is a widow who is new to town and without friends or family to celebrate the holidays with. Meeting the family next door in an unexpected way leads to forming a unique quilting group that comes together to create a quilt in time for Christmas.
Book List for November
1 Star = I did not like it. 2 stars = It was okay. 3 stars = I liked it. 4 stars = I really liked it. 5 stars = It was amazing.
- Own Your Life: Living with Deep Intention, Bold Faith, and Generous Love by Sally Clarkson – 4 stars
- Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess by by Bobby Fischer, Stuart Margulies, and Don Mosenfelder – 3 stars
- Just Look Up by Courtney Walsh (Harbor Pointe Series) – 4 stars
- Just Let Go by Courtney Walsh (Harbor Pointe Series) – 4 stars
- Just One Kiss by Courtney Walsh (Harbor Pointe Series) – 3 stars
- Just like Home by Courtney Walsh (Harbor Pointe Series) – 4 stars
- If For Any Reason by Courtney Walsh (Nantucket Love Story Series) – 4 stars
- Is It Any Wonder by Courtney Walsh (Nantucket Love Story Series) – 4 stars
- What Matters Most by Courtney Walsh (Nantucket Love Story Series) – 4 stars
- A Match Made at Christmas by Courtney Walsh (Nantucket Love Story Series) – 4 stars
- Paper Hearts by Courtney Walsh (Paper Hearts Series) – 4 stars
- Change of Heart by Courtney Walsh (Paper Hearts Series) – 4 stars
- How to Kiss Your Grumpy Boss by Jenny Proctor (Sweet Rom-Com) – 3 stars
- Faking Christmas by Cindy Steel (Christmas Escape Series) – 4 stars
- Christmas Baggage by Deborah M. Hathaway (Christmas Escape Series) – 4 stars
- Host for the Holidays by Martha Keyes (Christmas Escape Series) – 4 stars
- A Newport Christmess by Jess Heileman (Christmas Escape Series) – 4 stars
- Later On We’ll Conspire by Kortney Keisel (Christmas Escape Series) – 4 stars
- A Not-So Holiday Paradise by Gracie Ruth Mitchell (Christmas Escape Series) – 3 stars
- The Chosen by Chaim Potok (Jewish American Fiction) – 3 stars
- A Cup of Cheer by Heather Miekstyn (Sweet Holiday Romance) – 4 stars
- A Christmas Dare by Heather Miekstyn (Sweet Holiday Romance) – 4 stars
- A Quilt for Christmas by Melody Carlson (Christmas Novella) – 4 stars
- Scrooge and the Girls Next Door by Melody Jacobson (Holiday Rom-Com) – 4 stars