Bookish Thoughts for August
August has been a fun mix of books. I enjoyed re-reading The Secrets of the Isles series in anticipation of the release of the third book coming out in September (Worthy of Legend). I made this series my top pick for fiction in August, but I will admit it felt like cheating. I chose To Treasure an Heiress as my top pick when it was released in January 2022. There are obviously no rules to this book blog, but using the same book in the same calendar year felt like a concession. No clue why I have made up rules, but I do… Something about my Enneagram Type 1 personality… I explored the Renegades series by Marissa Meyers which had strong X-Men vibes. Not my usual reading, but it’s nice to mix it up. Elizabeth Bard’s memoirs took me on a journey through France and French cooking. That felt out of the norm for me, but it was interesting to explore something new with her. I really enjoyed The Bodyguard by Katherine Center. It seemed like all my friends got a copy before me and my wait at the library felt like an eternity (okay, two months, but you know, forever). One of my favorite authors, Emma St. Clair, did a surprise release with another author, Jenny Proctor. After reading Eloise and the Grump Next Door, I decided to renew my Kindle Unlimited account and binge read Jenny’s books. I enjoy sweet rom-coms. I may have given up watching Hallmark movies in 2022, but I’m pretty much reading the book equivalent these days. It definitely made for fun, light-hearted, summer reading!
Top Picks for August
Non-Fiction: This Beautiful Truth: How God’s Goodness Breaks into Our Darkness by Sarah Clarkson. This book was amazing! I appreciated Sarah’s honesty about her walk with mental illness and the brokenness she struggles with (both inside her and in this world). She has a way with words that sweeps you up in her story. It’s an incredibly vulnerable book and I admire her for writing it. While being completely honest about her struggles, she shares how God has shown up in her life and brings His goodness and light into the darkest places. I loved it! This is a library book that I will add to my home collection!
Fiction: I already shared in my bookish thoughts that The Series of the Isles series was my top pick. Why? British Historical fiction. Romance. Pirate Treasure Hunts. Yep. All good reasons. Specifically, To Treasure an Heiress makes me smile. I love Theo! He cracks me up! Reading these books again has me on the edge of my seat for the final installment. I can’t wait for Worthy of Legend to arrive in my mailbox soon.
Book List for August
1 Star = I did not like it. 2 stars = It was okay. 3 stars = I liked it. 4 stars = I really liked it. 5 stars = It was amazing.
- This Beautiful Truth: How God’s Goodness Breaks into Our Darkness by Sarah Clarkson – 5 stars
- Chosing Us: Marriage and Mutual Flourishing in a World of Difference by Gail Song Bantum & Brian Bantum – 3 stars
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear – 3 stars
- Lunch in Paris: A Love Story with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard – 3 stars
- Picnic in Provence: A Memoir with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard – 3 stars
- No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind by Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. and Tina Payne Bryson PH.D. – 4 stars
- The Nature of a Lady by Roseanna M. White (The Secret of the Isles Series) – 4 stars
- To Treasure an Heiress by Roseanna M. White (The Secret of the Isles Series) – 4 stars
- Renegades by Marissa Meyers (Renegades Series) – 3 stars
- Archenemies by Marissa Meyers (Renegades Series) – 3 stars
- Super Nova by Marissa Meyers (Renegades Series) – 3 stars
- What You Wish For By Katherine Center (Contemporary Romance) – 3 stars
- The Bodyguard by Katherine Center (Contemporary Romance) – 4 stars
- I’ll Be Yours by Jenny B. Jones (YA Rom Com) – 3 stars
- A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus (Children’s Historical Fiction) – 4 stars
- Eloise and the Grump Next Door by Emma St. Clair & Jenny Proctor – 3 stars
- Love Redesigned by Jenny Proctor (Some Kind of Love Series) – 3 stars
- Love Unexpected by Jenny Proctor (Some Kind of Love Series) – 3 stars
- Love Off-Limits by Jenny Proctor (Some Kind of Love Series) – 3 stars
- Love in Bloom by Jenny Proctor (Some Kind of Love Series) – 3 stars