I think all of us that live in Washington state know what I mean when I say “Rainy Day Plan”. Most events have two plans – the best case scenario sunny day plan and the worst case scenario rainy day plan. Never assume it’s going to be sunny – even when the little icon on the weather forecast says it might be. Two plans might be a bit more work, but when pulling off a successful event, it will be time well spent.
This weekend is my annual 5th/6th grade class sleepover. Each year I bring my Wednesday night class of about 12 girls over to my house for a sleepover. This is always the highlight of the year for a lot of my students. While we a have big sleepover for all 1st-5th grade girls in February, this one is just for our class and the special treat is they get to come over to my house. I really enjoy doing this event because I want the girls to get the message that I enjoy spending time with them. I don’t just teach them at church because I have to but because I want to. Even more than that, I want them to know what their welcome in my life – beyond the church. If that means attending a band concert or a softball game, I want them to know that I’m here for them and I want to share my life with them. My home is not off-limits.
So I’ll push all the furniture up against the walls. I’ll put the extra leaf in the table and set up the card table. I’ll make my home as kid friendly and welcome the group of them right on in. Usually in the past, we’ve gone outside to play a game of croquet. Let me tell you, croquet with 5th and 6th grade girls is always a hoot! However, there are little rain drops in the forecast, so now I must plan indoor activities. Here are some of the things I’ve been brainstorming:
- Board Games – Disney Scene It is always a hit
- Wii Games – Mario Party or Wii Party
- Make Your Own Dessert Kebabs – This will fill time as they make their own dessert. I’ve already made a list of the yummy food we can put on stick – like strawberries, marshmallows, cubed cake pieces, brownie bites, doughnut holes, pineapple, etc. Thanks to Sweet Maggie May’s for this inspiration (http://sweetmaggiemays.wordpress.com/2012/05/28/summer-dessert-kebabs/).
- Crafting – I’m pondering doing a craft project similar to what we did at my family ladies retreat in April. You can get picture frames that are blank at the craft store and decorate them using mod podge and craft paper. I’m still debating if this might be too messy. I will need to protect my table and my floors. However, the girls are usually pretty good at keeping things clean when strict instruction has been given. So we’ll see… this one is still up in the air.
- A Movie – this is how I wrap up the night at all my sleepovers. The girls lay down, the lights dim and suddenly they get sleepy! A movie is the perfect way to calm down the vibe and get them ready for sleep (because some sleep is always nice at a sleepover)!
I look forward to sharing with you how this weekend goes! Even if it turns out to be a rainy day, we’ll still have a blast. You always have to have a rainy day plan that rivals the sunny day plan. There will be no less fun had even if there are rain drops falling from the sky. We live in Washington state for crying out loud! We’re pros at having a good time indoors! Here’s hoping that is exactly what happens this weekend!