It’s no surprise to anyone – I LOVE to clean. I absolutely love cleaning my home and keeping it fresh. I sometimes wonder if the ministry thing doesn’t pan out long term, I could become a maid or go into some kind of housekeeping business. For most, that doesn’t sound like a glamorous way to make a living, but I love cleaning that much – I might consider it!
Over the years, I have developed a habit for which products I use most and like best. I thought I would share the 10 products I use around the house on somewhat a daily basis, if not weekly or monthly. They are not listed in any particular order. I find it too hard to choose favorites. It’s like picking between friends and that doesn’t seem right. Okay, you probably think I’m crazy… and maybe I am. The purpose of this blog to share my thoughts and give insight into my life, so this is a key part of Amy Scott! Might as well share it with the blogging world (or the 5 of you who actually read this – *personal plug* feel free to subscribe to my blog or share it with others, more readers are always welcome).
- Arm & Hammer Order Eliminator – This is a powder that I sprinkle around my home before I vacuum. I only use it about once a week to freshen the carpets. I use the pet fresh scent and it works to help pull up more pet hair and dirt while vacuuming. I love this product and it goes a long way to leaving a nice clean scent around the house while helping to vacuum more effectively.
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes – This is probably the most used product in my home! I used these wipes multiple times a day in my kitchen to clean up messes and sanitize. I also use them in my bathroom. I buy these at Costco in bulk and it’s a product I never run low on.
- Windex – Windows, mirrors, bathroom sinks are all cleaned with Windex in my house. Toby loves to slime the sliding glass door and Jeremy is notorious for toothpaste splatter on the bathroom mirror. Windex comes in handy when the boys in my life make messes!
- Bar Keeper’s Friend – Interesting title, right? I didn’t actually know about this product until I moved into my home and my mom shared it with me. I used it to clean my kitchen sink. I have a white sink which was horribly stained when I first moved into my home. This product worked so well to make my sink white again. I also noticed that my sink can get marked up by pots and pans and this product removes the marks.
- Lysol Disinfecting Spray – This is another product I buy in bulk at Costco! You can’t beat it! Jeremy actually hates it… something about the cloud of spray I leave around the house… I use this product about once a week to hit all major hard surfaces (i.e. light switches, door knobs and bathroom and kitchen surfaces). This is mainly for my psychological relief in knowing that I’m killing germs where ever they lie.
- Febreze Fabric Spray – I will use Febreze after I vacuum if I didn’t use the carpet powder that day. I also love it on floor mats, couches, curtains and throw pillows. Febreze makes things that I don’t wash on a daily basis still smell fresh and clean. I purchase the refill jug and keep filling the same spray bottle. I find it is more cost effective to buy the refill instead of buying a new spray bottle each time.
- Scotch Brite Stove Top Cleaner – I have a flat surface stove top (I think it is glass, but I’m not really handy with appliance jargon). I use this stove top cleaner to remove the burnt on gunk and splatter. I scrub the stove top and then use a paper to polish it to a shine. I love how clean and shiny my stove top looks afterwards!
- Swiffer Duster – My preference is the ones with Febreze scent added to them. This duster collects dust and much more. I’ve used it to pick up bugs and clean the lint of my laundry room floor. The duster is fun and fluffy. It’s like the modern version of the feather duster.
- Swiffer Sweeper Wet Mopping Cloths – I use my Swiffer Sweeper at least once a week if not more. It’s so rewarding to use a wet cloth and see the color it is when I am finished. I love the feeling of knowing that I have removed dirt from my floor. I love the fresh clean scents that are available.
- Lysol Max Coverage Toilet Bowl Cleaner – This is the best toilet bowl cleaner and requires the least amount of scrubbing. The cleaner goes on thick inside the toilet bowl and if allowed to sit over time will do all the work for you. I leave this in the toilet bowl for hours at a time (some people I know leave it overnight). It works on removing the colored rims and grim without the need for endless scrubbing.
If you thought ranking these would be hard for me, try keeping me to just 10 products! Below are my honorable mentions:
- Scrubbing Bubbles Shower Cleaner – it’s fun, it’s easy to see where you have cleaned, and it does the work for you. Enough said!
- Downy Wrinkle Release – not a cleaning product, but I use it all the time on bedding after I wash it to smooth out the wrinkles. It also replaces ironing for shirts and skirts. It’s easy to pack away on trips to keep clothes wrinkle-free.
- Clorox Toilet Bowl Wand – I use this along with the Lysol cleaner from time to time. I use this product instead of a toilet bowl wand. I find it works just as well and using a new brush head each time makes me feel better about germs.
- Scentsy Flameless Candles – Now Scentsy products might not clean my home, but they sure do leave it smelling good! Through a line of warmers and waxes, I can mix and match the smells in my house to create an inviting atmosphere. It covers up any smells that might be coming from the kitchen or the bathrooms. I love walking into my bathroom and having it smell fresh even through it’s been days since I cleaned it. I got rid of all my Glade and Febreze plug-in air fresheners and switched to Scentsy products. This is a change I never have regret. Plus my sister-in-law is a consultant with Scentsy, so I love knowing I’m supporting a family business (https://andreascott.scentsy.us/).
If you have any questions about a product I use or how often I clean what, just ask! I love talking about household cleaning and organizing. Also, if you have a household product you love, feel free to comment and share it! I’m always interested in what works well for others and trying new things! Especially when it comes to making my home a cleaner and safer place.