This next week will be week 4 of 5 in the 5/7 fast. I will be fasting all forms of media. I will only use my computer for work purposes. My cell phone will be off all week. I’m pretty sure that has never happened before! I do plan on keeping it my purse in case of an emergency, but I don’t plan on powering it on unless something major happens (like my car is in a ditch or someone needs immediate medical attention).
Our world revolves around media. We live our lives with screens in front of us. I am guilty of this a lot. In fact, I am this very moment! I’m hoping this break from the ordinary will help free my time from the excess of distractions in my life. I know it won’t be easy.
Top 10 things I will miss during media week (in random order):
- The radio – It’s on in my car like 95% of the time. I’ll turn it off when I’m praying in the car, but that is about the only time it goes off. Maybe if I turned the radio off more, I would pray 95% of the time I’m in the car.
- My Fitness Pal – This app on my phone has been a good friend of mine for over a year. I’ve learned that without counting calories I eat everything in sight. The bummer thing about not using this app is that it says what you’ve logged in a certain number of days in a row. I’ve gotten over 100 days before, but right now I’m currently at over 90 days in a row. I guess I’ll be starting again at 1 after next week.
- Random Text Messaging – I text a lot! I text my sister almost daily. I text Jeremy when he is the same building as me so I can find him. I text pictures of my dog to my mom, sister and Jeremy.
- My clock on my phone – I don’t wear a watch so I use my phone to tell time. If I’m late for something next week, I’m sorry! I wasn’t around a clock!
- Facebook – How will I know what 350 of my friends are up to at any given time? Breaking ties with Facebook is like becoming a hermit to most people.
- Once Upon a Time – I’m addicted to this new show on ABC. Lucky for me, it airs on Sunday so I’ll be able to watch it the day tonight the fast starts and watch the day following the fast. I can be patient, right?
- My laptop – I love my laptop. His name is Bartholomew (Bart for short). You know I love something when I name it.
- My blog – I’m going to miss sharing my daily adventures with you. Check back in after the media fast to see how it went and see how I’m doing with my personal fast.
- Personal Emails – Since a lot of my close friends live out of the area, I email with them a lot… If anyone wishes to catch up with me, I suggest calling my land line (yes, I still have one).
- Googling – I look everything up! Who was that one person that played in that one movie? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? If I have a question and Google has an answer.
Honestly, I am excited for the media fast. I love it when Jeremy and I go camping and we disconnect from the world. It’s no longer about always being available every second of the day. It’s about freedom from the things that take up the most of my time. I think I’m going to be blown away by how much time I have free when I don’t fill it in with media. I think life will be a little quieter. I’m a pretty quiet person by nature, so I’m hoping this will be a relaxing change. I look forward to unplugging and living without a screen in front of me! I’ll be back to the regularly scheduled programing after next week! See you on the other side!
PS – Today is my hubby’s birthday! I couldn’t post a blog without giving him a shout out! We surprised him in Children’s Church with a cake and cards signed by the students! It was awesome! Since we are finished with the food fast, we are now enjoying many yummy and good foods as a way to celebrate!